Saturday, April 9, 2011

Happy Saturday at Friend of a Farmer!

Photo from New York Magazine by Carmen Lopez and AJ Williams
Brunch in New York City is what I look forward to the most every weekend! I am moving out of Gramercy Park at the end of May and will miss my favorite brunch spot, Friend of a Farmer, on Irving Place, but will be sure to return often! It's the only menu in New York City that calls oatmeal - Porridge - and it truly is your grandmother's porridge!  I also love the Apple Butter that they serve here with the bread, it reminds me of being in Vermont or New England and certainly tricks me into thinking that I'm away from New York City - or at least for an hour or 2.  What does remind me that I'm in NYC is the huge line to get in starting at about 11:15am Saturdays and Sundays so the trick is to get there by 10:45am and you should beat the NYC brunch crowd.  Once you are through the doors, the ambiance transports you upstate.  It feels like a shabby (and not chic) old country farmhouse - its even built so tall people can hardly fit through narrow hall and small private dining room upstairs.  But the wooden beams, farmtables, fireplace and wallpaper really takes you out of the rush of New York City.  For brunch, I love that the omelettes are cooked and served in individual iron cast pans (my go-to fav is the cheddar cheese, bacon & tomato omelette).  And the Eggs Bennie, Cinnamon Raisin French Toast and Blueberry Pancakes well are all just delicious.  My only complaint is that they charge you for extra maple syrup - so for that moment I remember I'm in NYC again. For dinner, Friend of the farmer is a good, low-key spot to get a "home-cooked meal" with comfort food taking your thoughts away to the Countryside.  Just don't ask for more maple syrup!

Friend of a Farmer
77 Irving Place (18th & 19th St) 212-477-2188

No comments:

Post a Comment